Lyra & Ornament

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments LYRA-8 Lyra & Ornament

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Winglad
    Participant

Hi!

Since there is no main chapter on Ornament-8, I decided  to put my question here:

It is about the X2 receptacle…

In the manual, it says: „doubles the capacitance of the storage capacitor“.

Now, does that mean that if I pass on a voltage from cell 1 to cell 4, but do not trigger it at the same time, the capacitor stores the value until the cell is triggered?

Or do I need to pass on any X2 value AND at the same time also trigger the cell?

I tried to find out by experimenting but did not really come to a definitive conclusion.

Can anyone answer this?

Thanks and greetings!

#6795 Reply

Winglad
      Participant

Me again…

I think, I found an answer on page 7 of the manual…

“This function has one feature that makes its effect on the operation of the ORNAMENT more complex: at the time of removing the voltage from X2 and disconnecting the additional capacitor from the main capacitor, some voltage may remain on it if the disconnection occurred during the phase of cell activity.“

From this, I conclude, that in order to make X2 initially work, the destination cell also has to be avtivated!

So you probably cannot pass on the X2 storage-voltage and release it later in the sequence.

#6796 Reply

SomaLabs
        Keymaster

It is about the X2 receptacle…

In the manual, it says: „doubles the capacitance of the storage capacitor“.

Now, does that mean that if I pass on a voltage from cell 1 to cell 4, but do not trigger it at the same time, the capacitor stores the value until the cell is triggered?

Yes the capacitor is a kind of simple analog memory. It stores the last voltage that was on the main capacitor just before the voltage on X2 got zero.

Or do I need to pass on any X2 value AND at the same time also trigger the cell?

You can consider these processes as independent

I tried to find out by experimenting but did not really come to a definitive conclusion.

Just think about the capacitor as an additional volume that connects to the main when you will put a voltage on X2.
          And it doesn’t depend on is the cell is triggered or not
          #7900 Reply

sdfgcnv
          Participant

it would be good to have a dedicated ornament-8 forum!

I also have a question about the ornament 8 and integrating it with eurorack gear. I have an ornament 8 and am interested in using it to control some eurorack gear – in particular the Moog subharmonicon. most of the inputs on the subharmonicon accept CV from -5V to +5V according to the manual and the ornament generates 0 to 10V. do I need an offset module for this? apologies, I am new to modular (but I am sure this is obvious).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: Lyra & Ornament
          Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
            Right Menu Icon