using SOMA ripcord with usb powerbank

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments TERRA using SOMA ripcord with usb powerbank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Iden

I’ve tried using my SOMA ripcord with a couple different power banks that do work to charge my other devices, but it seems there’s not enough power delivery for my Terra or my Lyra-8. Should I be looking for a particular power bank that has the right power specs, or am I missing something?

I thought the ripcord was able to turn any power bank into a 12v power source for SOMA synths like Terra and Lyra, but I’ve not had the same experience. The powerbank powers both the Lyra and Terra flicker for a second, then shut off.

#14906 Reply

Don Buchla

Hi,

Yes, there are problems with Ripcord and Terra. Unfortunately, it does not work with all power banks that provide the required power. The same situation with Pulsar-23. All other SOMA devices work with Ripcord. For correct operation, your power bank must provide 2.4A and 5V.

#15096 Reply

Iden

Thanks for the clarification – wish it was on the ripcord packaging so I wouldn’t have bought the wrong type of power bank >.<

I just tried my power bank (5V 2.1A) with my Lyra-8 and similarly, it couldn’t hold power. Can I purchase a power bank over the specs you provided, such as 3A – or is it required to match the power specs of 2.4A and 5V?

#15098 Reply

jnnnik
          Participant

When powering devices via power bank, I’d always recommend using a USB-C Power Delivery capable power bank with a compatible cable, which lets the power bank itself do the voltage switching rather than having a converter sit in the middle. I’ve been using Birdcord cables like this one for a few different devices and they’ve been working great!

#15103 Reply

Don Buchla

Hi,

You can use a power bank with 2.4 A or more.

For example, I used this cheap power bank from Lidl – TRONIC Powerbank, 10,000 mAh.

https://www.lidl.de/p/tronic-powerbank-tpb10000a2-10000-mah-mit-power-delivery/p100367276002

It has 5 V/3 A, USB-A and USB-C outputs and works with all SOMA devices except TERRA and PULSAR-23.

#15166 Reply

Iden

Might have to look into the Birdcord cable along with a recommended powerbank. It’s unfortunate I bought my Terra with SOMA’s ripcord included, and it doesn’t even work with it? I think I’ve wasted a bit too much money on information not provided, but it is what it is. My goal continues to be playing the Terra out in the woods or out on my porch!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              Reply To: using SOMA ripcord with usb powerbank
              Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
                Right Menu Icon