Delay Lines are loosing pitch

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments COSMOS Delay Lines are loosing pitch

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Sebastian

Hey everyone,

I recently got my cosmos and definitely love it, however I noticed that when using the Delay Modes that the recorded buffers are loosing its pitch over time, i.e. the pitch of the recorded material is drifting up.

Is this to be expected ? If so, kind of annoying when trying to play alongside the recorded buffers 🙁

Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards
      Sebastian

#12886 Reply

Sebastian

Edit:

Sorry I was mistaken. The Delay Modes are working just fine, it is only the Reverb (3 Mode) which shows the mentioned behavior. This might be due to the delay line modulations and therefor unavoidable, at least that’s my assumption.

#13324 Reply

Dee Dee

Just bought one and discovered i have the same issue. Over a 5 minute period it drifts up 50 cents, a full quarter tone, and then drops back to 20 cents above the original. I’ll be returning mine as I can’t play along with sustained notes that are a so out of tune. Sad face, as I love some of the features. This is a total show stopper for me.

#13325 Reply

Dee Dee

Just bought one and discovered i have the same issue. Over a 5 minute period it drifts up 50 cents, a full quarter tone, and then drops back to 20 cents above the original. I’ll be returning mine as I can’t play along with sustained notes that are a so out of tune. Sad face, as I love some of the features. This is a total show stopper for me.

#13976 Reply

funktree
            Participant

I can confirm this, yes cosmos “drifts” after a few minutes. I just detune guitar or master pitch on synth if I need to continue, in most cases I rerecord b/c the reverb algo is mush-i after a while 🙂

#13978 Reply

SomaLabs
              Keymaster

This is normal behavior due to how Cosmos delays work, no solution exists unfortunately.

#13999 Reply

Alejandro

I came to report the same problem. I find this very complicated to work on long drones with the reverb algorithm. @SomaLabs besides the fact that this cannot be addressed, is there any workaround to mitigate this? For example setting the feedback to a certain amount so that the trails fade away before noticing the drift? Is there any of the three reverb algorithms that is less affected by this long term “modulation” in pitch?

#14000 Reply

Alejandro

I came to report the same problem. I find this very complicated to work on long drones with the reverb algorithm. @SomaLabs besides the fact that this cannot be addressed, is there any workaround to mitigate this? For example setting the feedback to a certain amount so that the trails fade away before noticing the drift? Is there any of the three reverb algorithms that is less affected by this long term “modulation” in pitch?

#14045 Reply

Robert

Can anyone confirm that the pitch issue is through all of Cosmos firmware’s?

#14046 Reply

Robert

Can anyone confirm that the pitch issue is through all of Cosmos firmware’s?

#14520 Reply

Roger

Hey Robert, the pitch drift occurs only when using the massive reverb settings. It happens on every version. It is pretty ridiculous. So many other companies can do delay lines with a diffusion network that doesn’t result in making the reverb out of tune. While I love the Cosmos, the fact the 25% of the algos aren’t usable is insane.

#14552 Reply

Alejandro

After some experimentation I found that this issue is related to the size of the algorithm, so in:

1. Huge hall: the pitch drift starts occurring at the minute or two of the reverb decay.
                            2. Super-huge hall: the pitch drift starts occurring after a few minutes of the reverb decay (not sure how many, maybe 5 minutes?).
                            3. Insanely-super-huge hall: I left this reverb for quite a while (at least 30 minutes) and haven’t noticed any pitch drift. This is the reverb algorithm I’m using now to avoid encountering the pitch drift issue.

I don’t have the exact numbers, sorry, but based on this estimation, you can choose your algorithm based on what decay you want to have. Number 1 would be 1 minute max decay, number 2 a few mins, and whenever you want to freeze and build a Cosmos of sound, use the number 3. The problem is that it is hard to calculate the decay time based on the feedback knob, but you may have an idea after some practice. Use your best guess. I’m mostly avoiding the number 1 reverb algorithm due to this. I hope this would be fixed eventually, but it has been said by Soma that this is how the algorithm works and it’s inevitable. I still wonder why it doesn’t happen in the number 3 reverb then. In any case, I hope this helps you program your algorithms so that you avoid the problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          Reply To: Delay Lines are loosing pitch
                          Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
                            Right Menu Icon