Individual 1/4” Output Problem

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments PULSAR-23 Individual 1/4” Output Problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dream villain
    Participant

Hi Pulsar23’ers.

I need some help troubleshooting an Output problem.

If I route my bass drum Output to either of the pin 1-6 and connecting the 1/4” 1-6 on the back to my mixer, I’m not always getting sound out as expected.

Further more, it seems that the bass drum channel(Output) is loosing its connection after midi has been stopped and started again, and I have to repatch the output to the pin again to get audio connection.
      It’s the same behaviour for the bass ch.

If I discard the individual Output and just listen to the master Output on the Soma, I get audio as expected and no connection MIDI or Audio is broken. Also works after Start/Stop on the Octatrack.

I haven’t any crazy patching going on from the Output of any of the 2 channels.

Midi is sync and sequenced from an Octatrack.

synced and sequenced from a Torso T-1 before and didn’t notice any problem like this, so this could be due to using the Octatrack and it’s constant clock?
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>Im open to any suggestions to fix this problem, consider it to be a human error rather than machine.</p>
      My Pulsar 23 is brand new, bought a month ago.

I made a video to document the problem but I don’t know how to attach it  but I could send it to support if wanted.

best DV

#14413 Reply

SomaLabs
      Keymaster

Hi Dream Villain,

It’s possible you are dealing with two separate things, which are unrelated. One is the sound, the other MIDI. I will address the audio part as I don’t have access to the sequencers you’re using. Maybe another user can address the MIDI issue.

Since you get normal sound using the main output, but not using the individual outputs, I will share the following info:

BD and BASS have 5V bias voltage on their pins. This was done to avoid cutting low frequencies on those channels and let users decide on using a High-Pass Filter of their own choosing.
        Your audio interface or mixer probably doesn’t filter bias voltage on its own, it basically wants signals with bias voltage around 0V.
        However it’s getting constant 5v + BD/BASS signal, which causes pre-amp oversaturation and results in signal distortion.
        The easiest way to get a proper signal is to send BD/BASS signal through the 10uF capacitor and then connect it to you interface/mixer input.
        You can also send it through an external High-Pass filter.

I hope this helps!

#14414 Reply

Dream Villain

Thanks for your reply.

I’m no expert but I don’t think it has something to do with the 5volt bias.

On the audio side I am getting individual and master Output to work but I often need to reconnect the Alligator clips and have audio drop out on the individuel Outputs.

Sound can drop out due to the sequencer being stopped or being muted/unmuted. Meaning that when I unmute there’s no sound is coming from the individual outputs anymore but I still get sound from the master output.

So midi is still doing its job but I loose audio on the individual outs.

#14561 Reply

SomaLabs
          Keymaster

Please contact Soma support at [email protected] with a video where you demonstrate this behavior, so our engineers can have a look at it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: Individual 1/4” Output Problem
          Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
            Right Menu Icon