Where is unity gain in the IN and OUT knobs?

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments COSMOS Where is unity gain in the IN and OUT knobs?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

AlejandroGI
    Participant

Hi, I would appreciate if somebody at SomaLabs can comment at which position in the knobs is unity gain since I’m working with line level and would like to keep everything at unity at the input and output to prevent messing with levels. Having both in and out levels makes it difficult for me to try for myself since one knob can affect the result for the other.

#14611 Reply

SomaLabs
      Keymaster

Hi Alejandro,

Output at full and input around half should give you unity. It’s a bit of a tricky question, because any combination of input and output pots that give you the same amplitude of the signal on the output as on the input would be considered unity, but there would be different headroom and signal to noise ratio.

#14641 Reply

Alejandro

Thank you. I understand that different combinations of input and output pots might give me unity gain, but I was not sure which one might be better to aim for the best signal-to-noise ratio.

#14646 Reply

SomaLabs
          Keymaster

As a rule it’s the input level and the level of your audio source that’s most important to leave enough headroom and optimal snr.

Set the Input knob in such a position that the adjacent volume indicator lights up green and does not light up red or occasionally light up red.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: Where is unity gain in the IN and OUT knobs?
          Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
            Right Menu Icon