I put batteries in my Terra and I live to tell the tale

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments TERRA I put batteries in my Terra and I live to tell the tale

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jnnnik
    Participant

Hey there,

absolutely love this instrument and really enjoy using it with a battery bank. Which isn’t to say that I don’t hate lugging around battery banks. So without further ado, I would like to introduce my Terra battery mod.

It might not be all that pretty but it sure as hell works like a charm.

#13788 Reply

GongFu
      Participant

Amazing, thank you for sharing this !

I just ordered the board you mentioned in ModWigglers, would you care to share how you soldered everything ?
        How did you secure the battery holders ?

#13792 Reply

hermansmasher
        Participant

Amazing mod! ๐Ÿ™‚

How long do the batteries last?

#13815 Reply

jnnnik
          Participant

Apologies for the delay, I had originally made this post in late September of ’23 but apparently it got stuck in moderation for a bit, hehe.

The wiring is pretty straightforward; basically just wired up the batteries as dictated by the BMS board vendor instructions and then hooked up the the positive terminal to Terra’s power jack’s tip and the negative terminal to the sleeve. Since it was my first time battery-packing a device and I didn’t wanna fry anything, I took some extra time measuring everything to make sure I got the connection points right. I guess the safest way would have been to dig up the specifications for the exact part used in Terra but it seems like it worked out in the end, hehe.

I secured the battery holders and the BMS to the bottom plate with some rather strong and thick double sided adhesive tape that I have a lot of faith in; I had previously used the same stuff to secure a wooden countertop to a cupboard and had enormous trouble getting that one off again when moving, so those aren’t going anywhere any time soon. As you can see by the pencil markings, I did map out where everything has to go as to not hit any other internals. Might still have a picture of the markings before I taped everything together.

Either way, nothing has failed me yet and I’m still very much enjoying this mod! As soon as my next batch of batteries arrives, I’ll be sure to do the same to my Octatrack.

@hermansmasher:

I had made some calculations before posting this project on Modwiggler but it turned out I’m a nonce when it comes to maths; my best guess is something in the range of 6-10 hours. Haven’t done any scientific testing on it, hehe.

#13816 Reply

jnnnik
            Participant

Edit: Whoops, accidentally double-posted

#13821 Reply

GongFu
              Participant

After more research, it looks like using a BMS to charge batteries is NOT SAFE !

I am now looking at “3S 18650 Lithium battery charger and balance protection boards” which seem more suited for the application…

Work In Progress…

#13823 Reply

jnnnik
                Participant

Isn’t “battery charger and balance protection board” essentially just a BMS tho? I’m not a professional by any means and working on more assumptions than is probably safe tho, hehe. Whatever the case, the board I used has been working very well indeed but it’s always a good idea to be on the safe side with this kind of tinkering!

#14181 Reply

GongFu
                  Participant

Sorry for the delay ๐Ÿ˜›

Well, since then I asked an engineer friend about this, he looked at the specs of the BMS we installed and said it was fine.

And indeed it works perfectly… So thanks again for the tip ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  Reply To: I put batteries in my Terra and I live to tell the tale
                  Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
                    Right Menu Icon