Strong smell from new Lyra-8

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments LYRA-8 Strong smell from new Lyra-8

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Terekki
    Participant

Got a Lyra-8 recently, used it once or twice and notice a strong smell – burning or a chemical smell – is this normal? the device appears to be working properly – but hard to tell and it’s not your typical synth.

#12108 Reply

Iralith

Question seconded! I’m having the same experience, though in my case I guess I’d say “sometimes noticeable” rather than strong. Still, I’ve been wondering about it.

#12120 Reply

SomaLabs
        Keymaster

Hi!

I just checked with the lead Soma engineer and this is his response:

It is normal in some cases of new Lyras, like a ‘new car smell’ but for synths.
          This is usually the smell of potentiometer grease and should go away with time.

We’ve never had an instance where the smell indicated a defect. However, if you’d like to speak to customer support about this please send a mail to [email protected].

#12155 Reply

Iralith

Thanks for looking into it! I really appreciate that–and it entirely checks out with what I’m experiencing. (Can’t speak for the OP, of course.)

Gorgeous machine, by the way.

#13412 Reply

Daniel

Got a lyra8 a month  ago  from Thomann and it emitts a really strong “smell of electronics”. I thought it has to do with “some tough Russian style electronics made by real man” but from the chicken-shit state that I’m coming  from ( greece) we learned that this smell indicates that something is burned….so I got worried.  Meanwhile im using it a lot and the “Beast” is working well (though its hard to tell , I agree with Tereki). I’m glad I’m not the only one , so for me this is another proof that “the Beast is alive!” Great  instrument , cheers to SomaLab people an Vlad for their effort.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            Reply To: Strong smell from new Lyra-8
            Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
              Right Menu Icon