[Suggestion] Alternative firmware with recording probability function

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments COSMOS [Suggestion] Alternative firmware with recording probability function

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AlejandroGI
    Participant

Today I was looking into the Praetereo firmware for the Noise Engineering Versio eurorack module, and such firmware is an asynchronous, 2 channel looper that decides when to record at random, based on a record probability knob (if the knob is at noon, it will record 50% of the time). I think this would be a very useful feature for evolving loops and working with the unexpected, and since there’s already a firmware that changes the function for the Drive knob, I was wondering if it would be possible to add such a feature which is more looping-related than drive (or even pitch) and goes in-line with Cosmos’ intention of spontaneously generating an ever-changing soundscape.

The way I would imagine it would work is: only when recording is enabled, it would read the Probability knob (ie, Drive knob) and determine if, when, and for how long it should record based on that. At minimum it would not record for most of the time. At noon, it would record 50% of the length of the buffer, starting every time at a different/random point in the buffer, based on a slow chaotic signal. At max, it would record constantly as usual. The recorded fragments could have some fade-in/outs in case you’re playing in the middle of a note when the looper decides to start recording again based on such probability. Visual indication (for example, through blinking recording LEDs) would be great to decide what to play based on recording/not-recording state.

I don’t use eurorack modules so it’s not a possibility for me to use that device and, besides that, I love what Cosmos does and don’t currently have any use for the Drive knob as I don’t find the drive or pitch changes very appealing, so it would be great to have a feature like this integrated in the device and controlled that knob.

Here is a demonstration video by the firmware creator.

Here is another vid of that device+firmware with the Dvina.

Hope there’s a chance for this to be considered. Thanks

#14089 Reply

Littleurban
      Participant

Would love to see that firmware!

Good suggestion!

#14113 Reply

Johnny Larue

That’s a fantastic idea, and very much in keeping with the spirit of the Cosmos.

I also agree with Littleurban and others about the Drive knob. I never use it (I prefer to add my own drive/distortion) and would love the ability to use it to control other on-demand functions like the one described above, or reverb (not just in Rhythm Mode), realtime (non-destructive) control of the filter cutoff or resonance, etc.

Alas, I realize we can’t have everything… but it can’t hurt to ask. 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        Reply To: [Suggestion] Alternative firmware with recording probability function
        Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
          Right Menu Icon