Volume jumps

• Topic
    • Voices

Home Forums Instruments COSMOS Volume jumps

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Niall

Hi folks . When I click reverse or change settings there’s a huge jump in volume / jump in sound  . I genuinely thought there were none of these issues with the cosmos and it’s quite difficult to get a smooth take . Anyone out there able to advise. Thanks 🙏

#12000 Reply

SomaLabs
      Keymaster

Hi Niall,

Please contact tech support at [email protected] and include some videos where you demonstrate this behavior.

#14053 Reply

elle.p
        Participant

Hi this is happening to me also. Destroys the loop while in record. Soma would you please respond ? thanks

#12685 Reply

funktree
          Participant

This response it related to classical firmware (non rhythmic one)

Please watch Andre’s video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rD0fdN0ESY

Here you can see volume jumps especially when you switch from “shorter line” algorithm  to “longer” line/algorithms. The previous material recorded might and will be on different volumes thus jumps. So it is not related to your unit.

I would strongly avoid to do drastic changes to feedback, Sup/Com or drive on longer delay lines (Ones with the biggest circles on the algorithm dial) Especially if you switch to shorter algos and fiddling with the level then switching back to longer lines (delay/algo) will definitely create drastic volume jump/drop.

However, I would welcome an upgrade to a  firmware where somehow the “peaks” of recorded material are “monitored” and when switching to different algorithms  the line’s with higher volume would get “a transition” with an internal gain control that gradually catch up with previously recorded material.

I was using cosmos without switching different modes while performing for months. But after seeing Andre’s video I started to switch between reverb/granular shorter/longer lines and yes the volume jumps are harsh.

Also the little pause while changing algorithm is NOT good for live performance, (you need reverb or something to “cover” the volume drop while switching algorithms).

So if changing algos while performing is “a feature” then soma team should do something about it. I understand it is “cosmos” so unpredictable is part of the game but the drastic volume jumps don’t go with “cosmos” paradigm.

I would suggest gradually switch lines from one algo to another. I believe right now all 4 or whatever lines are switched at the same time.

#14055 Reply

SomaLabs
            Keymaster

Please record a video and send it to [email protected] and include which firmware version is installed and which algorithm you are using. Make sure that all settings are visible and we can see how you use Cosmos.

Generally, in order to avoid volume jumps, it’s just a matter of learning how to do smooth transitions. For example, when you know you are going to switch algorithm, turn the MIX knob all the way to the left first. Then change algorithm. Then slowly move the MIX knob to the right again, introducing the new algorithm into the sound.

It’s important to switch algorithms slowly so Cosmos has time to process everything. Remember that it takes the memory from the previous algorithm and feeds it into the new one, along with any new audio input, so there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

#14061 Reply

elle.p
              Participant

“For example, when you know you are going to switch algorithm, turn the MIX knob all the way to the left first. Then change algorithm. Then slowly move the MIX knob to the right again, introducing the new algorithm into the sound.” Hi, thats not a good solution as it removes the looped material form the outputs  not seamless flow in performance ! I think the suggestion from funktree is perfect  – that is “I would welcome an upgrade to a  firmware where somehow the “peaks” of recorded material are “monitored” and when switching to different algorithms  the line’s with higher volume would get “a transition” with an internal gain control that gradually catch up with previously recorded material” and ”

So if changing algos while performing is “a feature” then soma team should do something about it. I understand it is “cosmos” so unpredictable is part of the game but the drastic volume jumps don’t go with “cosmos” paradigm.

I would suggest gradually switch lines from one algo to another. I believe right now all 4 or whatever lines are switched at the same time” is the right approach. SOMA can this be done ?

#14062 Reply

elle.p
                Participant

“For example, when you know you are going to switch algorithm, turn the MIX knob all the way to the left first. Then change algorithm. Then slowly move the MIX knob to the right again, introducing the new algorithm into the sound.” Hi, thats not a good solution as it removes the looped material form the outputs  not seamless flow in performance ! I think the suggestion from funktree is perfect  – that is “I would welcome an upgrade to a  firmware where somehow the “peaks” of recorded material are “monitored” and when switching to different algorithms  the line’s with higher volume would get “a transition” with an internal gain control that gradually catch up with previously recorded material” and ”

I would suggest gradually switch lines from one algo to another. I believe right now all 4 or whatever lines are switched at the same time” is the right approach. SOMA can this be done ?

#14063 Reply

SomaLabs
                  Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback! There are currently no plans to implement further changes in the algorithms or firmware in Cosmos, but we do make a note of all your ideas. So please keep them coming:)

Plenty of high-profile musicians such as Surgeon do hour+ long live performances with Cosmos without having any issues switching algorithms on the fly, so it’s really just a matter of learning how to use Cosmos correctly 🙂

#14065 Reply

elle.p
                    Participant

“Plenty of high-profile musicians such as Surgeon do hour+ long live performances with Cosmos without having any issues switching algorithms on the fly, so it’s really just a matter of learning how to use Cosmos correctly 🙂” I dont know Surgeon personally to ask him….Would you mind detailing how he uses the unit correctly ? thanks

#14066 Reply

elle.p
                      Participant

“Plenty of high-profile musicians such as Surgeon do hour+ long live performances with Cosmos without having any issues switching algorithms on the fly, so it’s really just a matter of learning how to use Cosmos correctly 🙂” I dont know Surgeon personally to ask him….Would you mind detailing how he uses the unit correctly ? thanks

#14075 Reply

Alejandro

I also would really want to know how to avoid the gaps when changing algorithms. I tried a few things, but still get that. Some ambient musicians I’ve seen online also avoid changing algorithms I suspect for the same reason.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        Reply To: Volume jumps
                        Your information:

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
                          Right Menu Icon