Reply To: Volume jumps

Home Forums Instruments COSMOS Volume jumps Reply To: Volume jumps

funktree
Participant

This response it related to classical firmware (non rhythmic one)

Please watch Andre’s video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rD0fdN0ESY

Here you can see volume jumps especially when you switch from “shorter line” algorithm  to “longer” line/algorithms. The previous material recorded might and will be on different volumes thus jumps. So it is not related to your unit.

I would strongly avoid to do drastic changes to feedback, Sup/Com or drive on longer delay lines (Ones with the biggest circles on the algorithm dial) Especially if you switch to shorter algos and fiddling with the level then switching back to longer lines (delay/algo) will definitely create drastic volume jump/drop.

However, I would welcome an upgrade to a  firmware where somehow the “peaks” of recorded material are “monitored” and when switching to different algorithms  the line’s with higher volume would get “a transition” with an internal gain control that gradually catch up with previously recorded material.

I was using cosmos without switching different modes while performing for months. But after seeing Andre’s video I started to switch between reverb/granular shorter/longer lines and yes the volume jumps are harsh.

Also the little pause while changing algorithm is NOT good for live performance, (you need reverb or something to “cover” the volume drop while switching algorithms).

So if changing algos while performing is “a feature” then soma team should do something about it. I understand it is “cosmos” so unpredictable is part of the game but the drastic volume jumps don’t go with “cosmos” paradigm.

I would suggest gradually switch lines from one algo to another. I believe right now all 4 or whatever lines are switched at the same time.

Copyright by SOMA Laboratory (This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.) Privacy & Cookies Policy
      Right Menu Icon